Grasping the Big Picture In Organizations
60 to 90 minutes
$35 (US funds)
About the Course
Gain credibility and clarify with your clients by broadly understanding the world in which they work. Don’t be afraid to talk about the “business” or “hard skills.” Understand your client’s organization — its structures and functions — and what needs to happen within it to make it successful. Know different kinds of leadership and when each is needed in organizations.
This course can be completed as a stand-alone or as part of the Certificate-Series Principles in Organizational Consulting.
((The image depicts the McKinsey 7S management model.)
- Make sense of the overall system of any organization, including its interactions with stakeholders outside of the system
- Recognize the current stage of an organization and what’s needed to evolve to the next stage
- Determine the system in each area of “business” practices occurring in for-profits and nonprofits
- Explain the context of an organizational process or problem to your clients and/or employees
- Analyze the flow of a problem in an organization
- Recognize when your client or employees are operating within a closed system and what’s needed to transition to a healthy, open system
- Identify domains of leadership needed for successful change
- Determine the skills needed to work effectively in the ‘business” side of any type of organization
Tools & Resources
- Training Video
- Pre and Post Assessments
- Learning Journal
- Sources for Additional Learning (recommended interactive exercise(s), book(s), discussion group and questions for reflection about the topic)
- Open System of an Organization
- Nonprofit Compared to For-Profit Organizations
- System of a Nonprofit Program
- Systems View of Various Business Functions (Boards of Directors, strategic planning, business planning, management development, human resources, financial management, advertising and product evaluation)
- Systems View of Various Nonprofit Management Functions (Boards of Directors, strategic planning, management development, staffing, financial management, advertising, fundraising and program evaluation)
- Examples of Systematic Plans in Business
- Examples of Systematic Plans in Nonprofits
- Life Cycles of Organizations and Subsystems
- Overview of Some Common Models for Organizational Change
- How to Design a Logic Model
- How to Diagnose For-Profit Organizations
- How to Diagnose Nonprofit Organizations
How it Works: To Enroll & Get Started
Create your account. Go to CDI’s learning site. Read the brief “Welcome” section and click on “Create new account”.
Select a course or series. Click on CDI’s Catalog of Courses and Certificate-Series, and select the desired course or series.
Enroll. Click on “Enroll me” in the course or series. Use Paypal for major credit cards, or enter an enrollment key if you have one.
Log-in & Learning Instructions
Log in. If you are not already logged in, then log into CDI’s learning site, using your username and password.
Start your course. Click on your course in the upper right. (For a series, follow the specified order of courses.) In the course, follow “Start Here”.