Facilitating Group Decision-Making and Problem Solving
60 to 90 minutes
$35 (US funds)
About the Course
Guide and support group members to clarify their desired outcome and goals. Customize the group process to suit the nature and needs of group members. Cultivate a safe and open environment for the free and useful exchange of ideas. Know when to intervene in a manner that sustains the group’s ownership and commitment in their participation. Use powerful techniques for managing constructive and destructive conflict.
- Establish the most important goals and working assumptions for effective facilitating
- Build and integrate the necessary processes for highly functioning groups
- Use a variety of intervention techniques to guide and support a group’s progress toward its purpose and goals
- Facilitate for maximum participation, collaboration and engagement of all group members
- Facilitate for full participation and deliberation for the best decision-making and problem solving
- Resolve unproductive processes and behaviors while retaining the group’s responsibilities for the processes and themselves
Tools & Resources
- Training Video
- Pre and Post Assessments
- Learning Journal
- Sources for Additional Learning (recommended interactive exercise(s), book(s), discussion group and questions for reflection about the topic)
- How to Draft a Basic Contract for Facilitation
- How to Know When to Facilitate, Train or Coach
- How to Acculturate Groups
- How to Design Groups for Successful Facilitation
- Basic Guidelines for Effective Meeting Management
- Common Techniques in Facilitating Groups
- How to Enhance Participation in Groups
- How to Achieve Group Consensus in Decisions
- How to Intervene in Groups
- How to Manage Conflict in Groups
How it Works: To Enroll & Get Started
Create your account. Go to CDI’s learning site. Read the brief “Welcome” section and click on “Create new account”.
Select a course or series. Click on CDI’s Catalog of Courses and Certificate-Series, and select the desired course or series.
Enroll. Click on “Enroll me” in the course or series. Use Paypal for major credit cards, or enter an enrollment key if you have one.
Log-in & Learning Instructions
Log in. If you are not already logged in, then log into CDI’s learning site, using your username and password.
Start your course. Click on your course in the upper right. (For a series, follow the specified order of courses.) In the course, follow “Start Here”.