Consulting Phase 1: Contracting
60 to 90 minutes
$35 (US funds)
About the Course
Learn how to conduct the critical first meeting with your client. Gain quick methods to learn about your client, their organization and their problem to solve. Decide if your client is really ready for a project. Carefully conclude if the client and you are a good match. Know the most important elements to include in a contract.
This course can be completed as a stand-alone or as part of the Certificate-Series Collaborative Consulting Training.
- Ensure your client has clarity on your overall professional goals and working assumptions in consulting, and how you prefer to work in a collaborative manner
- Ensure you clearly understand your client’s perception of their problem (their perception is often focused on symptoms, rather than causes)
- Pose powerful questions to learn more about your client’s needs
- Identify the types of clients in the project–including current, direct and indirect clients
- Prepare your client for brief and practical evaluations during and at the close of the project
- Conclude if your client is really ready to participate in a major project
- Determine how to move forward to formalize an agreement
Tools & Resources
- Training Video
- Pre and Post Assessments
- Learning Journal
- Sources for Additional Learning (recommended interactive exercise(s), book(s), discussion group and questions for reflection about the topic)
- Example of an Engagement and Agreement Conversation
- Types of Clients in Consulting Projects
- How to Understand the Culture of Your Client’s Organization
- Checklist to Assess Your Client’s Readiness for Change
- Example of a Project Proposal
- Core Elements of a Consulting Contract
How it Works: To Enroll & Get Started
Create your account. Go to CDI’s learning site. Read the brief “Welcome” section and click on “Create new account”.
Select a course or series. Click on CDI’s Catalog of Courses and Certificate-Series, and select the desired course or series.
Enroll. Click on “Enroll me” in the course or series. Use Paypal for major credit cards, or enter an enrollment key if you have one.
Log-in & Learning Instructions
Log in. If you are not already logged in, then log into CDI’s learning site, using your username and password.
Start your course. Click on your course in the upper right. (For a series, follow the specified order of courses.) In the course, follow “Start Here”.